Tuesday, October 4, 2022
US Daily News Onlne


Jacarezinho, Brazil, a year after the worst massacre, fear remains

a year later Deadliest police operation in the history of Rio de JaneiroBrazil’s favela But still living with him FearWithin…

By admin , in news , at May 8, 2022 Tags:

a year later Deadliest police operation in the history of Rio de JaneiroBrazil’s favela But still living with him FearWithin the framework of an occupation by the forces of the Order to “re-conquer the territory”.

Launched last January by the Rio state government, the official goal of the “Cidade Integrada” (Integrated Cities) program is to protect neighborhoods from drug trafficking and improve social services,

But the police presence is far from reassuring the residents of this favela, where some 80,000 people live.

“Everybody is scared,” says a 31-year-old shopkeeper who declined to be identified for fear of reprisal. The fact that the police are here all the time doesn’t make us feel safe.

Read more: At least one killed, three injured in hailstorm as roof collapses in Ecuador

Two armored police trucks are stationed near his shop; Heavily armed officers regularly leave from it to patrol the area. Passers-by avoid meeting the eyes of the police as they walk through narrow streets, passing electrical cables that sometimes hang to the ground.

“Ever since ‘Cidade Integrada’ started, we’ve seen shooting almost dailyWithout prior notice,” regrets Pedro Paulo da Silva, a security researcher with the NGO Labazca, who works in the neighborhood.

“Summary Execution”

On the night of 25 April, the 18-year-old father of a four-month-old child was shot dead by the police.

“It was a brief execution! Why did they kill my son? He was not a smuggler,” his mother told G1 news portal.

In Jakarzinho, each police action brings back unfortunate memories of May 6, 2021, When 28 people including a police officer were killed during a traffic raid,

The corpses in the streets, pools of blood on the terraces or in the living rooms… The scenes that haunted the neighborhood after the operation are etched in the memory of many.

Last Friday, a year after the massacre, hundreds of people took out a procession through the streets of the favela for a memorial erected in honor of the victims: 28 plaques on a blue wall with the names of the dead.

“Killer Police!” The protesters shouted at times, even as they came across a pair of agents armed with assault rifles.

“It’s a feeling of sadness, but above all injustice. After them many more people died and the deaths are not going to stop,” 19-year-old Taciana Barbosa, a childhood friend of the two youths killed in the operation, told AFP. Whose pictures were flashed on his T-shirt.

The prosecution has so far condemned two police officers and action is being taken against two others. Prosecuted in court for his involvement in the operation, But ten of the thirteen investigations launched have already been filed.

“As long as impunity continues, contact with the police will always be marked by trauma,” says Guilherme Pimentel, an adviser to the Office of the Public Defender, which provides free legal aid to families.

home invasion

Another recurring problem that has already generated “dozens of complaints” at the Public Defender’s office is home invasions and looting, according to neighbors, committed by police.

“When I went to my house, the door was open. They have the master keys and when they don’t work, they break the door,” says Thiago Bia, 39, who runs a cultural association in Jacarzinho.

“They went through everything looking for valuables. I was lucky they didn’t steal my television. They came with a dog, had excrement. Since then, every night before I go to sleep, I have anxiety attacks,” he adds They say .

In addition to increasing police presence, the ‘Cidade Integrada’ program promised to improve services for the population.

The Rio state government claims to have implemented a number of programs in recent months, such as vocational training of about 1,400 female heads of household.

They also opened gymnastics courses, Zumba, and a civil registry service, which has allowed many residents to obtain “their first identity cards,” according to Governor Claudio Castro.

Read more: Woman kills her husband who abused her and is released in self-defense

But other than the beginning of ” business course, We haven’t seen anything relevant,” says Pedro Paulo da Silva.

“Every time the authorities start a new program, the problem is the same: there is no communication with the population,” he laments.

The young man shared the moment of his resignation on Tiktok and went viral